Women in View is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to strengthening gender and cultural diversity in Canadian media both on screen and behind the scenes. We do this through a range of initiatives that seek to generate awareness, promote talent and spark dialogue across the full spectrum of production, policy and artistic arenas.
The mission of Women in View is the achievement of greater diversity and balance in Canadian media, from the standpoint of employment equity, creative authority and gender representation.
- To raise awareness of the extent and implications of gender imbalance in media industries.
- To increase the presence of women employed in media, particularly in positions of creative authority.
Objective 1: Information-Gathering
- Map the status of women both behind the scenes, particularly in positions of leadership and creation, and on screen.
- Generate constructive cross-sector dialogue to identify the factors inhibiting the full participation of women in media industries; and their remedies;
Objective 2: Building Awareness
- Promote awareness of the facts and the cultural, social, economic and political costs of gender inequity in the Canadian media sector industries, both within the industries and in the wider society.
Objective 3: Effecting Systemic Change
- Develop a range of practical, effective and sustainable strategies to counter systemic obstacles to women’s full participation in media industries, each tailored to specific facets of the industry, policy and educational sphere.
- Build multi-sector partnerships and collaborations in the service of these goals.
Go to: Projects and Initiatives